Trespass Enforcement Authorization Program
The City of Kent offers property owners an opportunity to be involved in a Trespass Enforcement Authorization Program. This partnership provides the Kent Police Department authorization to contact and question persons who may be unlawfully occupying the property during non business hours and invites officers of the Kent Police Department to:
- Enter your business property during non business hours to determine whether individuals found there have a legitimate business reason to be on your property; and
- If the officer has probable cause to believe that the person is trespassing the officer may ask the person to leave the premises, or arrest the person for trespassing, and/or other crimes as appropriate; and
- If the officer makes an arrest, the officer will list you as a witness in the case based on the information you provided in the authorization.
This program DOES NOT increase the police patrolling of your property.
To participate in this program you must complete and sign the Trespass Enforcement Authorization form. The original of this form must be on file at the Kent Police Station. In this form you:
- Appoint all Kent Police officers as your agents for the purpose of enforcing trespass law,
- State that no one has permission to use the property during non-business hours for any purpose not directly and clearly related to your business, and;
- State that you will testify in court if called to do so.
- Post No Trespassing signs at the logical entry points to your property (driveways, sidewalks).
- Testify in court if called on to do so.
- Notify the Kent Police Department when installation of no trespassing signs is complete.
Signs may be purchased from the Kent Police Foundation for $25.00 a piece. The Kent Police Foundation is a non-profit 501-c-3 organization that raises funds for public safety and youth programs in the Kent community. Signs may be purchased with cash or check at the Kent Police Department or credit card via Pay Pal under the email email@example.com.
Kent City Code 9.02 adopted:
RCW 9A.52.070 Criminal Trespass first degree: 1) if he/she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building 2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.
RCW 9A.52.080 Criminal Trespass second degree: 1) if he/she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises of another under circumstances not consulting criminal trespass in the first degree 2) Criminal trespass in the second degree is a misdemeanor.
Trespass Agreement Form (69KB PDF)
Trespass Program Brochure (188KB PDF)