The Facts on Sales Tax
The tax rate in King County is the state allowable 9.5%, with an additional .5% baseball stadium tax on food and beverages sold in restaurants, bars, and taverns.
Where do your sales tax dollars go?
For every $1,000 spent on retail goods there is a sales tax of $95 which is distributed as follows:
- Washington State $65.00 (68.4%)
- City of Kent $8.50 (8.9%)
- King County $ 3.50 (3.7%)
- Metro Transit District $8.00 (8.4%)
- Regional Transit (RTA) $9.00 (9.5%)
- Criminal Justice Programs $1.00 (1.1%)
Tax is collected by Washington State, and distributed two months later to other government entities.
What does the City of Kent do with sales tax revenue?
Per Council mandate, 30% of the sales tax collected is dedicated to funding the general capital needs of the city such as park improvements, facilities, technology and debt service.